[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - Tracking stats by name, steam id and .....

Tracking stats by name, steam id and .....

All questions and comments about player stats should be addressed here.

Tracking stats by name, steam id and .....

Postby The Spanish Inquisition » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:55 am

Image Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Postby Bobby » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:36 am

Why not steamID and custom cvar? Then it doesn't matter what name you're
using.

stats_uid = 0 (me)
stats_uid = 1 (roommate)

You'd add it to your autoexec.cfg.

This would also allow for fine-grained tracking:

stats_uid = 2 (me, sniping)

You'd want to limit the number of slots per player to keep the database
clean, 10 slots would be more than enough.

It could be a small table, steamID and uid, to produce a unique user
key.

This would require a server-side plugin, but if you're serious about
collecting meaningful data, there are events in the engine that aren't
usually logged - you'd want your own plugin to listen for and log those
events.

If you're looking at ranking, I'd also work on a system that analyses stats
per map, and comes up with a way to handicap the value of flags. For
example, flags are easier to get on flash and anzio then they are on
argentan. Also, bonuses for wins should be handicaped - allied wins on
avalanche should carry more weight than axis wins (flags as well.)

This ties in with the plugin too - you could handicap individual flags (the
enemy's first flag being worth more than taking your own first flag.)

-b

Postby Quisp » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:09 pm

So what you are saying here is, Statwhores have more options to keep
their stats high. Oh what a wonderful thing.

Postby Fire Marshal » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:10 pm

So, something like having all play time assigned to the steamid, but maybe allowing the
option of breaking the stats down further by clicking on a specific name within the steamid.

That might appeal to some people. People with multiple players per steamid that is.

I am against toggling stats on and off, that is ridiculous. People shouldn't say "Hell, I'm
playing awful today, let me turn off stats recording." Stats should record everything IMO.

I don't know jack about how to implement this, if possible even. I like Bobby's idea
about weighting flags, perhaps based on which side wins more on the map etc...

edit: Quip posted as I posted. And my sentiments exactly.

Postby The Spanish Inquisition » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:07 pm

Oh Bobby, I hate to dash that dream but I can't really see me writing a plugin for this. I know we talked about this before but I'm not the guy. The devil is in the details. Plus I'm looking a centralized repository which would make it hard to force admins to keep a minor plugin up to date.

Quisp, I never said anything about rankings. These would be personal stats. A minor goal is to reduce statwhoring by not having an overall "skill' ranking which currently in all the stats packages is a bit of a dubious computation. I am looking more toward analysis of the data. Player sessions and map sessions, and some server reports will be about it. If there are rankings they will not be any aggregate over-reaching ones, just localized and focused rankings, like "Most tk'ed after having a nice kill streak" or "Mr. Grenade Fumblina." Take a look at this to see the flavor I would like to implement.

Take a lesson from Google page ranks because it is EXACTLY the same scenario. Google does not let people know exactly how they compute page ranks for the explicit reason of discouraging page rank whores. So to combat stat whores you simply don't let them know the function to compute the 'skill' ranking, and when necessary, keep modifying it.

I don't want to get off topic by talking about how to compute things, like flag values. All that stuff is down the road. I mainly wanted to see what people thought about being able to have personal stats and be able to choose BEFORE HAND NOT AFTER OR DURING if they would like to delay or stop stats computation for that upcoming player session. Remember, currently on both HLstatx and Psychostats, stats are only computed when there are at least 12 people on the server so already there is a huge existing condition where some play data doesn't get computed. I have to make a choice soon with the direction I would like to go with this and just wanted to be able to include as many people as possible. If that means not many people care about separating stats from when they are just 'having fun' or 'serious business' mode or of course for peeps who play on the same steam id then that makes it a hell of a lot easier for me.
Image Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Postby Quisp » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:47 pm

Postby Steamboat_Willy_Sr » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:46 pm

Image "The only way I'm going to see some action is to bust myself to private"

Postby Bobby » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:13 pm

Postby Spud » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:41 pm

Return to Server Stats