[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
www.powdod.com - View topic - My Lil' Laser Died...

My Lil' Laser Died...

A place to shoot the breeze.

Postby Bobby » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:54 pm

I'm making one assumption here - that you're already running your hard drives on SATA,
and therefore your IDE ports are completely free. In this case, you don't have to worry about
master/slave, or any contention on the controller.

Also, most mobos have two separate controllers, so you could run two optical drives, one per
controller, and not have any contention.

As for cables, you can get .

I don't see any negatives going IDE. It's cheaper, keeps an SATA port free for something
faster, and when you're ready to upgrade the optical drive you can pass the old one to a
family members with an older box, who might not even have SATA, or only have a couple of
SATA ports.

-b

Troll

Postby Rommel » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:52 pm

Yeah, I bought the IDE version today.

I will move my current burner down one and make it master of the secondary controller, it is a half-wit that can only read DVD's now. I banish thee to second class status!!

I have more than enough SATA ports on this sucker, 8 on the board and 2 more that can be used for external drives. I'm still not ready to move to SATA optical drives and nobody gave a good reason that would have pushed me to buy a SATA optical.

Smaller cables, Master/Slave, Better Airflow don't count as good reasons BTW.

Previous

Return to The barracks